Article Export

Wildcats win FC thriller over Big Red

The New London Wildcats prevailed over the Plymouth Big Red Friday night.
Cary Ashby
Oct 26, 2013

The Wildcats’ 27-26 victory puts them at 5-4 overall and 3-3 in the FC. The Big Red fell to 5-4 and 2-4.

Plymouth drove down the field in the closing minutes with a clutch, 14-yard reception from Tyrell Edmiston, who went up for the ball from quarterback Hunter Bailey on 4th and 11.

The Big Red went to the 1-yard line a few plays later. With 5 seconds on the clock, Edmiston’s 18-yard field goal attempt went wide left, giving New London the FC win.

“Barely,” coach Mark Genders said about the FG attempt. “They made big plays. We made big plays. We had the chance to win and we just didn’t.

“I’m proud of my team,’’ he added. “This was their best effort of the year. They played their tails off,” he said.

New London coach Justin Vorhies was grinning, but almost speechless after his team won the game.

“Both teams made big plays,’’ he said. “Somebody had to win this game. We could have played 10 quarters and it would still be like this. We’re two evenly matched teams and you saw that tonight,” he said.

Plymouth got on the scoreboard first with a 29-yard touchdown run from Chance Butcher, who ended the night with 100 yards on 16 carries.

Edmiston’s point-after was good, giving Big Red a 6-0 lead with 3:58 left in the first quarter.

New London answered on its very next possession when Nick Thomas took it 80 yards to the end zone. Caleb Logan’s PAT was no good and it was 7-6.

For the night, Thomas had 13 carries for 123 yards and the score.

Through the air, he had three receptions for 96 yards and two TDs. New London QB Josh Hamilton was 9-of-14 for 188 yards and three TDs.

The Big Red led at the half 14-6 thanks to Edmiston’s 5-yard TD catch from Bailey.

Edmiston had six catches for 110 yards and two TDs. Bailey, the QB, was 12-of-21 for 186 yards and two TDs.

With 9:41 in the third quarter, the Wildcats’ Thomas caught a short pass from Hamilton and ran it 76 yards for a TD. Running back Derek Phillips ran in the two-point conversion and the game was tied at 14. He had 19 carries for 77 yards.

After Plymouth’s Durbin capped off a drive with a 1-yard plunge to retake the lead 20-14, New London got its first lead of the game with 48 seconds left in the third quarter.

Julian Molnar had a 13-yard TD reception that finished off a 51-yard drive. The PAT was good and the Wildcats claimed a 21-20 lead.

Next, the Edmiston snagged a 40-yard TD catch on 4th-and-6. Bailey’s two-point conversion pass into the end zone was tipped and Plymouth regained the lead 26-21 with 10:06 left in the game.

New London’s final score was with 6:53 left when Thomas had a 20-yard TD catch. He stole an apparent interception from Bailey about the 2-yard line and rolled into the end zone.

The Wildcats end the season at home Friday against South Central. Plymouth goes to Crestview.

Score by quarter
Plymouth        7    7    6    6—26
New London    6    0    15    6—27