Article Export

Big plays lead St. John's to 34-7 win against Sandusky

The Blue Streaks were a big-play team the first two weeks of the 2010 season. Staff
Sep 12, 2010

The Blue Streaks were a big-play team the first two weeks of the 2010 season.

St. John's filled that role Saturday night on the way to its 34-7 win against Sandusky, scoring on two TD passes from 50-plus yards on a wet night at Toledo Rogers High School.

"They controlled the game offensively," Sandusky coach Mike Franklin said. "We dropped a couple of touchdown passes early."

Lucas Poggiali, 6-of-21 passing before he left the game with an injury, threw a long touchdown pass at the start of the second quarter, connecting with junior Tristen Jeffries from 30 yards away to knot the game, 7-7. Jeffries had three catches for 58 yards and the lone Sandusky touchdown. The Streaks (2-1) just missed two long scoring throws that would have put them up 14-0.

The Titans (3-0) took a 7-0 lead midway through the first quarter on a 50-yard TD pass from Rogan Roback to Cheatam Norrils. Roback added a 55-yard strike in the third quarter to Nate White.

"They got behind on some of those plays. We didn't defend the deep ball very well," Franklin said.

Sandusky, which leads the series 9-3, was in the game a year ago before losing, 42-21, but it served as a springboard for a 4-1 finish to the season.

The Streaks have five days between now and Friday, when they play their first home game against the Lorain Titans. Sandusky and St. Mary CC will celebrate the 75th anniversary of Strobel Field that night.

On Saturday, Kyle Kern scored two touchdowns on the ground, and Roback threw for two scores for the Titans, who turned the ball over three times on six fumbles.

The Streaks' Dameyion Smith, who caught two passes for 22 yards, recovered a fumble on St. John's third series, giving Sandusky the ball 26 yards from the end zone. But Poggiali threw an interception at the Titans' 2-yard line.

With 6 minutes before halftime, the Streaks recovered a second St. John's fumble near midfield, only to give it right back the next play on Cordney Strickland's fumble.

Kern carried the final 34 yards to put the Titans ahead, 14-7, with five minutes before halftime.

They added a 30-yard field goal by Brandon Smith to make it 17-7 going into halftime. Smith booted a 34-yarder in the fourth quarter to cap a 75-yard drive.

Kern had a 5-yard run in the third, extending the lead to 31-7.

Strickland nearly took the ensuing kickoff back before he was tripped up. The Blue Streaks marched, but on fourth-and-goal the Titans knocked away a pass to hold.

Strickland ran for 45 yards and added 17 more through the air.