Article Export

St. Paul doubles up Plymouth

PLYMOUTH - The St. Paul Flyers earned a hard-fought 42-21 win over the Plymouth Big Red on Friday night at Mary Fate Park in Firelands Conference play.
Mike Greco
Oct 23, 2010

PLYMOUTH — The St. Paul Flyers earned a hard-fought 42-21 win over the Plymouth Big Red on Friday night at Mary Fate Park in Firelands Conference play.
The win upped the Flyers’ record to 7-2 overall and 5-1 in the FC. The Big Red slipped to 2-7 and 2-4.
The Big Red went toe-to-toe with St. Paul, as the Flyers were not able to seal the win until late in the fourth quarter.
Plymouth actually out-gained St. Paul 348-275 in the contest.
“Plymouth played hard,” St. Paul coach John Livengood said. “Give credit to coach (Mark) Genders and his staff. They played with a high level of intensity and emotion. They consistently moved the ball on us. They did a good job of controlling the clock and making some plays we couldn’t stop.”
Livengood was just pleased to pick up the win.
“I’m happy to get the win and I thought we ran the ball well,” he said.
St. Paul now gets ready to travel to Monroeville (7-2, 5-1) Oct. 30 for a huge FC contest.
“It’s a big game with a lot of playoff implications,” Livengood said. “We need to have a good week of practice. We have plenty to improve on.”
Genders was thrilled with the Big Red’s effort Friday.
“We were coming off a disappointing week last week,” he said about Plymouth’s 54-7 loss to South Central a week ago. “We really had two choices. We could either cry about it or ring the bell and our team chose to ring the bell. I’m extremely proud of our team.
“Our offensive line is the heart of our team and tonight with had two backs hurt and this game was just a testament to our offensive line,” the coach added.
Genders knows the future is bright for Plymouth as nearly the entire team returns in 2011.
The Big Red host Ashland Crestview on Friday to close the 2010 regular season.
“Titanic,” Genders said about the effort needed to play Crestview.
Things looked good early on for St. Paul as junior Isaac Livengood returned the opening kickoff 64 yards for a touchdown. The Scottie Slauterbeck extra point had the Flyers up 7-0 15 seconds into the game.
St. Paul made it 14-0 four minutes later when Livengood bulled in from 3-yards out.
Livengood finished the night with 71 yards on 11 carries and three TDs rushing.
Plymouth bounced back four minutes later when quarterback Craig Miller snuck in from the 1, trimming the deficit to 14-7.
Adam Smith’s 29-yard TD run at the 11:02 mark of the second propelled the visitors to a 21-7 second-quarter lead.
Plymouth then proceeded to march from its own 3 to inside the Flyer 20, using 17 plays and taking more than nine minutes off the second-quarter clock before turning the ball over on downs.
Smith’s 6-yard scoring run in the third had the Flyers on top 28-7, but the Big Red would not go away.
Miller hooked up with Kyle Reinhart on an 18-yard TD pass and it was 28-14.
Livengood’s 1-yard run made it 35-14, but the Big Red came back with a 9-yard scoring strike from Miller to Jerimiah Crager, cutting it to 35-21.
Livengood’s 23-yard TD run with 2:45 left to go sealed the game.
Smith finished with 106 yards on 10 carries and two scores.
Derrick Beers led the Plymouth rushing attack with 97 yards on 26 attempts. Logam Lacy added 88 yards on eight tries for the Big Red.
Plymouth ground out 17 first downs to 10 for St. Paul.

Score by quarters
St. Paul  14  7  7  14  — 42
Plymouth  7  0  0  14  —  21
Scoring summary
SP — Livengood 64 kickoff return (Slauterbeck kick)
SP — Livengood 3 run (Slauterbeck kick)
PLY — Miller 1 run (Roberts kick)
SP — Smith 29 run (Slauterbeck kick)
PLY — Reinhart 18 pass from Miller (Roberts kick)
SP — Livengood 1 run (Slauterbeck kick)
PLY — Crager 9 pass from Miller (Roberts kick)
SP — Livengood 23 run (Slauterbeck kick)